Come dressed for a mess and be ready to roll up those sleeves. This class is an active, up-close, hands-on, make-and-take exploration of Letterpress Printing. Do you have what it takes to be an apprentice in a 19th century print shop? You had better mind your p’s and q’s!
- Learn the history of letterpress printing with a focus on 1800’s.
- Operate three different 19th century presses.
- Make and take prints of Harmonist documents on an 1833 iron press.
- Learn to set moveable type by hand as it was done in the 1800’s.
- Print copies of their hand-set type on an 1893 iron hand press.
Tip: Bring along a short quote, lyric, or poem you would like to print. Brevity is your buddy as every letter must be set by hand.
$70 for members